Our Story

Edmonds Marshall Lawyers Matamata has been providing legal services to individuals and businesses since 1918, when the partnership was known as Buchanan & Purnell.

John Buchanan moved from Thames to Matamata to open another office of Buchanan & Purnell in 1918. Mr Buchanan was also Mayor of the Matamata Borough Council from 1941-1942 and he played a large part within the Matamata community, inaugurating several of the local sports clubs.

In 1943, Lionel Welham became a partner of the firm, which became known as Buchanan & Welham. Mr Welham also played a large part in the community serving as Deputy Mayor from 1950-1953.
Graham Edmonds joined the firm in 1951 (Welham & Edmonds). Graham was a partner of the firm for many years, retiring to become a consultant to the firm in 1987. Graham also was a Matamata Borough Councillor and was a Hamilton District Law Society Council member.

John Marshall became a partner of the firm in 1961 (Edmonds, Wilson & Marshall). John left the partnership in 1995 to move to Kerikeri where he was a practicing barrister. During his time with the firm, John held positions as a Matamata Borough Councillor, a Council member and President of the Hamilton District Law Society.

David Parker, Jamie Rae and Kylie Munro-Cross are now the three partners of Edmonds Marshall.